Re: [SI-LIST] : Power-plane resonance article

Heinz Blennemann ([email protected])
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 18:05:15 -0700 (PDT)

Here's one path to the article (Howard Johnson's website).
http://www.signalintegrity.com/articles/edn/ppresonance.htm

To reduce power plane resonance, we sprinkle bulk caps
across the board, even in UNPOPULATED areas of the board
(ie those without components). Adding these capacitors
is like adding periodic impedance nulls, reducing plane resonance.

Heinz

HEINZ BLENNEMANN Juniper Networks Signal Integrity
[email protected] W: (650) 526-7935

> From [email protected] Thu Sep 10 15:04:57 1998
> Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 13:48:57 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Ray Anderson <[email protected]>
> Subject: [SI-LIST] : Power-plane resonance article
> To: [email protected]
> Content-MD5: 2FVa0UYo2MElXe9ZB5qpOg==
>

> I've just read the Signal Integrity column by Howard Johnson that
> was recently (Sept. 1 '98) published in EDN magazine and wanted to
congratulate
> Howard on his timely article and to suggest that others on the list who
haven't
> had an opportunity to read his comments should make it a point to look it
over.

> His comments hit close to home as I've seen examples of many of the
> effects he describes. The article is light on theory, but very strong on
> technical philosophy.
>
> As our systems in the industry keep pushing the envelope with faster
> risetimes and higher clock speeds it will become imperative that designers
> pay close attention to the power distribution system in their products. In
> this case the "power distribution system" is not just the silver box you plug
> into the wall, but includes the power supply, the bulk capacitors, the bypass
> capacitors, the power planes, and even the chip package.
>
> As a matter of curiosity I was wondering how many of the si-list
subscribers
> involved with high performance systems are currently modeling the effects of
the
> power distribution system in their design work. Any comments why or why not ?
> What kind of tools do you use ? Difficulties encountered ?
>

> Ray Anderson
>
> Sun Microsystems Inc.

In the BODY of message put: UNSUBSCRIBE si-list, for more help, put HELP.