Re: [SI-LIST] : Design Note on Right Angle Bends

Nirmal Jain ([email protected])
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:36:37 -0400

Dear Mike,

The electrical structure would behave like an antenna when it's length
becomes comparable to the wavelenght of the signal it is carrying. The
length of 90 degree bend is higher than 45 degree bend, so 90 degree
bend acts like an antenna at lower frequencies than 45 degree bend.
I would start worrying about these bends at the edge rates of 100ps and
below.

Hope it helps. Regards

Nirmal

Mike Mayer wrote:

> I am puzzled by a design note on the Ultracad web site:
>
> http://www.ultracad.com/tech.htm
>
> It states that:
>
> THE REASON YOU DON'T USE RIGHT ANGLE TURNS ON CIRCUIT BOARDS IS
> THAT RIGHT ANGLE CORNERS BEGIN TO LOOK LIKE ANTENNAS.
>
> There are no references given or any further explanation. Can anyone
> explain what they mean?
>
> --

Nirmal Jain       			Ansoft Corporation
(412)261-3200 X129 (W) 			Four Station Sq., Suite 660
(412)261-471-9427(FAX)			Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Check out Ansoft's WWW site at http://www.ansoft.com for product
information, technical support, employment opportunities, much more...