Re: [SI-LIST] : Contact Current Rating ?

Patrick Lawler ([email protected])
Fri, 22 May 1998 17:18:50 GMT

On Fri, 22 May 1998 11:30:59 +0900, you wrote:
>I,m concerning how much power pin have to be assigned to meet the power
>requirement of a card. "Contact current rating" of the catalog of a
>connector is the only clue for me to decide the number of power pin in
>the connector.
>
>Assume the power requirement of the card is 50 watts, supply voltage 5
>volts and the contact current rating 1 A. Then 10 power pin pairs (VCC,
>GND) are enough?
>
>Could anyone tell me the meaning of "Contact Current Rating" and how to
>meet power requirement of the card?

Because contacts are usually mounted in a plastic shell, contact
current rating also impacts safety, through the temperature rise of
the shell. Other parameters, such as number of contacts installed and
ambient temperature also affect the rating.

=46ind a vendor of a typical mating connector for your application, and
look for the definition from that point of view.

--
Patrick Lawler