RE: [SI-LIST] : Excessive clock overshoot

Muranyi, Arpad ([email protected])
Thu, 14 May 1998 08:13:00 -0700

Fabrizio,

Even though Charles is correct, the problem is not so much the high speed
and/or
stength, in my opinion. If I remember correctly, these devices use
n-channel
pullups which have a very high impedance above a transistor threshold
voltage
below the high rail (~3.5-4.0 volts for a 5 volt device). This high
impedance
and the lack of clamping diodes (or clamping circuits) results in an open
ended
transmission line, which allows the reflections to double the amplitude.

Use fast and strong devices if you need the speed, but make sure your lines
are
properly terminated (clamped).

Arpad
====

Fabrizio,

I have seen this many times before with FCT logic. In my experience it is
the worst choice of logic families from a signal integrity point of view.
The edge speed is very fast, and current drive is very high, and so the
speed is fast---but that is bad for signal integrity. I suggest you try
ABT, or F. There is also other types of FCT which are intended to be more
"SI friendly".

Charles Hill, consultant
[email protected]