Re: [SI-LIST] : Controlled impedance in Flex Circuit

Shawn Carpenter (
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 17:16:31 -0500

When computing the wavelength of a particular transmission media,
you usually need to have the effective dielectric constant, which is
usually different (usually less) than the dielectric constant of the
board or substrate.

The wavelength can be computed by:

Wavelength in free space
Wavelength(media) = -----------------------------------
SQRT(effective dielectric constant)

You can get the free space wavelength as follows:

Frequency in Hertz
Wavelength in free space = ------------------
3.0E+08 (speed of light)

In Roland's case, the dielectric constant didn't change significantly
frequency, so the effective dielectric constant values were valid for
frequencies (give or take under a tenth). Other transmission line types
be more dispersive and this might not hold in other cases, so you might
to recompute it at different frequencies.