RE: [SI-LIST] : Driver Strength

Kazi Hassan (khassan@pakhi)
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 13:28:25 -0800

I would like to add my experience in support of Mark's comments :

I design very high speed digital interconnects. All the chips
that talk through the interconnects are custom designed & so
I have freedom to define how the driver needs to be characterized.
To facilitate design I rely on output impedence rather than
currents & also to avoid confusion I specify exactly what
should be the simulation environment & characterization
methodology for finding the output impedence of the drivers.
So it's no problem comparing the strengths of two different
drivers & also , for example, it's clear that a 75 ohm
driver will not be able to drive a 50 ohm xmission line
when incident wave signaling is in mind.

Thanks,
Kazi
Sun Microelectronics,
Sunnyvale, CA