Re: [SI-LIST] : Other materials for GHz application

Paul Franzon ([email protected])
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 09:45:11 -0500

Cheah:

There are no hard and fast rules for clock rate vs. board technology.
Here are some things to think about, however:

o To operate even point to point connections at this rate will require
careful modeling and analysis, including skin effect and especially
process variations. Everything in a board varies +/- 30%. You will
need a carefully designed termination scheme to suppress reflection
noise. The materials used in a PCB can support very wide frequency
ranges but designing low-latency low-noise nets gets tricky and
time-consuming.

o Clock speed by itself is not a driver to MCM over PCB. Common drivers
include size, inter-chip latency, noise control, routability,
and chip I/O count.
However, I will say this. Designing MCM wiring to meet a 200 ps delay
slack spec (to pick a number) is a *lot* easier than designing the same
PCB wiring.

Good luck

Paul

--
-----
Paul Franzon, Associate Professor, North Carolina State University