re: [SI-LIST] : Formulas for Calculating PTH Capacitance

fabrizio zanella (fabrizio=zanella%eng%[email protected])
Tue, 23 Sep 97 14:50:12 -0400

Chris, look in page 257 of Howard Johnson's book: High Speed Digital Design,
A Handbook of Black Magic", for a formula to calculate via capacitance.
(book ISBN: 0-13-3957244, Prentice Hall).
The formula is C (in pF) = (1.41*Er*T*D1)/( D2-D1)

T=board thickness
D1 = Diameter of pad
D2 = Dia of clearance
Another book highly recommended is "Computer Circuits Electrical Design",
by Ron Poon, Prentice Hall ISBN 0-13-213471-3)
Both are practical books on high speed issues.
Regards,

Fabrizio Zanella
Sr. Design Engineer
Hardware Engineering
_/ _/ email:
[email protected]
_/_/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ voice: (508) 435-1000 Ext.
4645
_/ _/_/ _/_/ _/ _/ Fax: (508) 435-8949
_/_/_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/
_/ _/ _/ _/ EMC Corporation
_/_/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ 171 South Street
Hopkinton, MA 01748-9103
-------------
Original Text
From: Chris_Heard/US/3Com%[email protected], on 9/23/97 9:40 AM:
To: smtp@Eng@EMCHOP1["si-list" <[email protected]>]

FROM too long. Original FROM is
"Chris Heard/US/3Com" <Chris_Heard/US/3Com%[email protected]>

---------------------- Original Message Follows ----------------------
Does anyone know of a way to calculate the capacitance of a plated thru
hole
considering the following parameters:

a) PCB thickness
b) Number of layers where a clearance to a plane is used
c) Diameter of each clearance
d) Diameter of hole

Thanks,
Chris Heard