Re: [SI-LIST] : Dielectric loss

Nirmal Jain ([email protected])
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 17:20:21 -0400

Dear Hans,

One straight forward explanation could be that the dielectric
has a finite conductivity and due to that there a conduction
current flowing in the dielectric, which causes losses in the
dielectric. The dissipation factor (loss tangent), tan delta
is given by (G/wC).

In a lossless dielectric, if the voltage changes sinsuoidally
the current leads the volatge by 90 degrees, which means
there is no loss. For real materials, there invaribaly is a
delay in polarization and the current leads the voltage
by 90-delta degrees where delta is loss angle.

Regards

Nirmal

--
Nirmal Jain       			   	Ansoft Corporation
(412)261-3200 X29 (W) 			Four Station Sq., Suite 660