Re: [SI-LIST] : differential pairs

Ron Poon ([email protected])
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 16:56:02 -0700

Joachim,

The board thickness will dictate the use of edge-side coupling.

Because of strong coupling between two broadside signal lines,
they need to be separated considerably to achieve 50 to 60 ohm
differential impedance normally used. That makes the whole
board quite thick. I have seen clever ways to overcome this
difficulty. One of these uses a plane cutout method. Imagine
two regular striplines with their common ground plane
separation cut out so the striplines face each other to form
the broadside coupled pair. That will work if you don't have
too many differential pairs, and you're careful about cut planes.

-----

-------- --------- common ground plane with cut

-----

(the two signal lines and the cut may not line up if
you don't have fixed font).

--
Ron Poon               			Cisco Systems
Phone: (408) 527-8243			250 W. Tasman Drive