RE: [SI-LIST] : Skin effect Modeling and Verification

Mellitz, Richard ([email protected])
Sun, 7 Sep 1997 20:53:10 -0400

Agreed, W models do well. The trick is to determine good values for the
Maxwell matrix. For example, traces less than 1/2 oz and less than 4
mils wide (i.e. PWB not cables) have significantly greater Rac than you
calculate from using a simple quadrangle geometry. What this does is
make ringing dampen are rate very similar to measurements.

I use W models when I get spice decks for I/O ring electronics from chip
mfgs to determine SSO effects. I don't like using lumped models for SSO
analysis which many vendors default to. We've got good agreement with
lab measurement here to.

Richard Mellitz, NCR