Re: [SI-LIST] : skin effect and transmission line simulators

Jonathan Smith ([email protected])
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 11:28:50 -0700 (MST)

Hi Chris:

The Pacific Numerix toolsuite can handle all five of the requirements that
you specified.

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Chris Simon wrote:

> I am looking for a time domain lossy transmission line simulator for
> digital signals with bit rates of 1Gbit/sec and higher. I would like to
> get information on simulators that you have experince with.
>
> The simulator I'm looking for should include all of the following:
> 1. The results can be viewed in the time domain.
> 2. Transmission line models that include series resistance and
> inductance which are functions of frequency to ACCURATELY model skin
> effect. (i.e., a frequency dependent line model that is used to get time
> domain simulation results)

The SPICE simulator from Pacific Numerix does accurately model
lossy dispersive lines including the frequency dependent resistance and
dielectric conductance for dielectric loss.
All frequency-dependent parasitics (RLGC) are produced
automatically from any layout tool database, in 2-D or 3-D.

> 3. SPICE CMOS models and/or IBIS type non-linear models can be used
> as drivers and receivers

Of course, Pacific Numerix provides a tool that converts the data
from IBIS information sheets into Pacific Numerix SPICE models, and these
can be used in the SPICE simulation. Where a higher level of accuracy is
needed, the Pacific Numerix tool can automatically generate and run the
SPICE of your choice, for instance whatever SPICE version you may have
transistor-level driver/receivers from.

Jonathan Smith
Consulting Engineer
www.pnc.com