FW: reactance of 0805 and smaller SMT resistors

Edlund, Greg ([email protected])
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:37:51 -0400

> On Friday, June 13, 1997 7:45 PM, Eric Wheatley wrote:
>>
>> I would also like to point out that inductance is a property of a chip
>> capacitor or resistor given a specific choice of terminals and a complete
>> description of the conductive materials in the device. This is called
>> partial inductance and it seems to cause a lot of confusion. No 'current
>> loop' is needed; just the acceptance of the fact that the current magically
> appears at one terminal and disappears into the other.

I have to confess I am one of those who has experienced a great deal of
confusion over the concept of "partial inductance." Would anyone care
take a stab at a physical definition of this quantity? I've seen
equations
that involve some pretty complicated line integrals, but perhaps there
is a
more down-to-earth definition that gets at the heart of the matter
without
getting bogged down in three-dimensional calculus. (Then again, perhaps
there isn't...)

Greg Edlund , Principal Engineer
Alpha Server Signal Integrity
Digital Equipment Corp.