Re: Power/ground connections/bypassing on ICs

Don Abernathey ([email protected])
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 14:45:47 -0700

Power and ground connections seem to be dictated by layout concerns
and soldering concerns. E.g. a BGA and an SOIC use different pad to
via connection techniques, the BGA using a short (xxxmil) trace to via
or sometimes pad-in-via, and the SOIC using a pin-escape (short, fat
trace).

Assuming for a moment that pad-in-via yields the lowest inductance
connection, I can tell you that I have never seen pad-in-via done on
an SOIC footprint. Why? Because it is harder to solder. I believe that
short-trace-to-via (dog bone) and pad-in-via are done in BGAs
primarily because they are the most cost-effective (mainstream) method
of high-density soldering, with dog bones seemingly more popular than
pad-in-via.

These are correct tradeoffs since the mainstream applications for our
technology are cost driven. Volume, mainstream manufacturing technology
is more important than engineering performance. Design
it once but build a zillion. It could be that a few less DPM (solder
joints) is worth more than a few extra millivolts of noise margin.

I have used long, thin microstrip traces (pad layers) and a couple
0805 SMT caps to make an analog filter for an ethernet chip. But to
tell the truth it was a shot in the dark. I knew the value of the
inductances and capacitances and SPICE told me the behavior of the
network over frequency, but I had no clue what the interaction with
the ethernet chip would be. But this was also a fairly safe design
since the Bit Error Rate of ethernet is something that few folks would
notice unless it is grossly bad.

I have also had IC vendors write app-notes dictating the use of
ferrite beads and split planes without providing one shred of evidence
that it was necessary, but only the words "good analog design
practice"- yeah right. No design target.

I believe in low-impedance connections for bypassing, high-impedance
for filtering and split planes when I want to make sure that I know
where currents are flowing. About the only thing that is accomplished
by mixing filtering with the bypassing is to slow the edge rate -
great if that is what you want to do.

Thank you |
Don Abernathey |
(503)690-6234 |