Re: Power/ground connections/bypassing on ICs

Larry Smith (ldsmith@lisboa)
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 12:31:14 -0700

Gary:

Some of us out here really do methodically design decoupling caps into
the product. The methodology was developed and published by:

Larry D Smith,
Decoupling Capacitor Calculations for CMOS Circuits,
Electrical Performance of Electrical Packages Conference,
Monterey CA, Nov 1994,
Pages 101-105.

Since the methodology was published, it has been used it on several
products. Lab measurements with a spectrum analyzer indicate greatly
reduced power supply noise at many frequencies. Also, EMC/EMI radiation
has been measured as much as 10 dB down after using the methodology.
BTW, that guy from IBM works for Sun now... :)

regards,
Larry D Smith
Sun Microsystems