Re: PBGA packaging

Larry Smith (ldsmith@lisboa)
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 10:31:29 -0800

Arthur - we are using PBGA packages quite successfully to handle high
speed logic signals and sensitive reference voltages going to the same
chip. As you have mentioned, the key is to watch the ground and power
planes. Make sure that all transmission lines have a continuous paths
for return current on the reference planes. Segmented power planes can
kill you if transmission lines cross the power boundaries. Also, make
sure that driven signal pins have nearby power and ground pins to reduce
the simultaneous switch noise.

regards,
Larry Smith
Sun Microsystems

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From [email protected] Wed Dec 18 08:11:51 1996
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 96 10:10:00 CST
From: [email protected] (Arthur Collard)
To: [email protected]
Subject: PBGA packaging

Hi All,

Does anyone have experience with PBGA type packaging related to noise/EMI
and suseptability?
I have concerns with the internal ground/pwr ring, trace spacing/width,
via size, package size ... etc.
Can anyone share with me their experience.
Do you know of alternatives of/to PBA package types for low noise??

regards
ac

----- End Included Message -----