(Fwd) Re: Help with decoupling cap inductance

Don Abernathey ([email protected])
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:37:21 -0800

Hello!

Here is Larry's input to my inductance problem.

I appreciate the input. :)

*************************
Thank you |
Don Abernathey |
(503)690-6234 |
[email protected] |
*************************

--- Forwarded mail from [email protected] (Larry Smith)

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:07:57 -0800
From: [email protected] (Larry Smith)
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Help with decoupling cap inductance

Don - I did some finite element (Ansoft) modeling of a structure similar
to yours, and decided the loop inductance was about .85 nH.

My structure was an 805 size capacitor sitting on solder pads with vias
to the power and ground planes at the outside edges of the pads:

+-------+ +-------+
| | | |
| +--------------+ |
- | | -
/ | | \
| O | | O |
\ | | /
- | | -
| +--------------+ |
| | | |
+-------+ +-------+

cap: 80x50 mils
pad: 40x?? mils
space: 60 mils (therefor, via pitch was 100 mils)
via pad: 30 mils
via barrel: 12 mils
via depth to 1st power plane: 14 mils

I assumed that the capacitor was a perfect conductor because I wanted the
loop inductance at high frequency. This will make my answer a bit low
because current really travels through the capacitor body, which is further
above the PCB power planes. The most important part of the problem is the
space between the vias (100 mils), via diameter and depth to the power
planes.
This determines the loop area that current must go around. I put a 2d
current
source in one of the vias to force current around the loop. Ansoft told
me there was some amount of energy when I forced 1 amp. Energy is 1/2 L*I*I,
so loop inductance was easily calculated to be .85 nH.

Your vias are a long way apart (215 mils). You have further to go to your
power planes (probably 20 mils if copper thickness is included). My guess
is that your loop inductance is closer to 2.61 nH. You might want to go
negotiate with manufacturing to put those vias in the pads.

regards,
Larry Smith
Sun Microelectronics