Re: Modeling - Fast Tr

Wai Yeung Yip ([email protected])
Thu, 5 Sep 96 09:08:53 PDT

Regarding Fabrizio's question on high speed interconnect modeling, I agree with
Eric that the best solution is to do a S-parameter characterization over the
frequency range of his application, either via modeling or measurement. One has
to be careful though that the fixturing closely mimics the actual environment
in which the connector will reside. One can then build an equivalent RLC
circuit model based on the physical construction of the connector and run some
optimization software such as that built into MDS or Hspice to compute the
model parameters. The optimization goal would be to produce a circuit model withcorresponding S-parameter set matching that of the connector. This would require
good insight to come up with a circuit model topology which can yield a good
match.

I think the problem with slicing the connector into smaller sections for direct
RLC modeling is that, as Eric pointed out, the coupling between sections would
be ignored. In addition, when it is a true 3D structure, it may not be clear
how to slice it.

My humble opinion,
Wai-Yeung