Re: SI- Termination Comment

Norman Wong ([email protected])
24 Apr 1996 11:27:05 -0400

Reply to: RE>>SI- Termination Comments Wanted

Thank you for all those who replied. Sorry I was too busy (and still is) =
on this problem I don't even have time to reply right away.

First off I would like to thank you for all the inputs and ruls of =
thumbs. They are mostly consistant and confirmed what I have learned =
before. Changing the thickness of different layers is also a good =
suggestion and I am current considering it.

My Problem (firstly reflections and secondly, ringings) has not been solv=
e yet and I still need suggestions from experts like yourselves. The =
following are some details of situation:

-->
I just start routing a PCB for a controller board. There are Intel-type =
uC and DSP's. The PCB is about 8" in length and due to space limitation, =
the DSP's are distributed on one end of the PCB and the uC is on another. =
Before I start routing, I manually routed two signals almost =
side-by-side so when I do signal integrity simulation I could compare =
them. The tracks are switched back and fro between the two routing =
layers to match a real life situation. These two signals are driven by a =
74AC245 xcvr (originated from the uC) and branched to all DSPs. The =
final track is about 10-15" long. This is a 6 layer board with only two =
internal routing layers in the middle. From one DSP to another it is =
about 2" or so. BTW, locations of the DSP and the uC cannot be =
alternated (mechanical constrain for heat sinking).

I ran the simulation (UNISOLVE) and compared the two signals at the =
source and the end of the daisy chain, with one terminated with 100 Ohm R =
and 100 pF Cap, and another is not terminated. As I indicated earlier, =
the terminated signal is not much cleaner but the amplitude is way low(RC =
too large). I also tried different RC values and there isn't much =
improvement. I could restore the amplitude with smaller RC but the =
double edges are still there. I also tried T versus Daisy Chain and also =
tried source series termination. The best I could achieve is when using =
a 10-15 Ohm series termination with Daisy Chain configuration. However, =
some pins still have a small notch at the edge (some are up to 1 ns in =
duration).

I was using 1.6 ns rise time and a 10 MHz clock rate for the simulation. =
With the 2 to 3 times prop delay to rise time rule this is definitely a =
transimission line. With a 1/10 rule on stubs, I think I could not use =
them to branched between the DSP either.

There are a lots more signals which are similar to these two signals. I =
am using these two as a benchmark.
-->

After using the textbook solution of Daisy Chain and termination, the =
signal is still having ringing and double-edges. I think it is related =
to the mismatch bewteen layers, the drive capability, and the change in =
Z0 when devices are attached along the chain. The solution to the first =
constrain, my guess, would be using impedence controlled PCB and/or =
change the thickness of each layer for a better match. I may not able to =
use impedence controlled PCB due to cost issue. With the initial Zo's =
number I have, I think the reflection is very small from layer to layer =
anyway. I can't do much for the second constrain (the driving =
capbaility) unless adding more drivers. The last one, in theory, should =
be fixed by simply changing the match resistor value to the new Zo'. =
However, I have no luck on that.

I almost exhaust all my avenues to fix this problem. I have already =
keep all the tracks short (however, still too long ), daisy chained the =
devices, and try terminating. I haven't tried diode clamping yet and I =
will. Nevertheless, I would like to avoid them as they are physically =
bigger than a 0805 or 0603 chip. It also mostly for ringing, not for =
reflection.

I would like some more ideas or suggestions.

Thank you in advance for you help.

Regards,
Norman Wong
Hardware Design Engineer