Re: Short Course: High Speed VLSI Interconnecti

Nirmal Jain ([email protected])
Wed, 24 Jan 96 14:10:31 EST

Hi Folks

I think the course contents pretty much follows the
contents of the book written by Prof. Ashok Goel. The
title of the book is:

High Speed VLSI Interconnections: Modeling, Analysis
and Simulation; ISBN # 0-471-57122-9; Wiley Publication. $74.95.

So you can get some idea what will be covered in the course
if you get a chance to browse thru the book. Book is pretty handy
and covers lot of high speed issues but has not many real-life
design, modeling and analysis examples. May be author would discuss
those in the class, I don't know.

Regards

Nirmal

>I just noticed this on newsgroup. I have not taken the course, and I don't know anyone
>involved. I'm just an information distributor.
>
>In case anybody cares:
>
>In article [email protected], [email protected] (Linda M. Pease) writes:
>}The Office of Continuing Education,
>}Oregon Graduate Institute of Science & Technology,
>}offers the following intensive short course for
>}scientists and engineers
>}
>}High Speed VLSI Interconnections
>}
>}Customer demands for smaller integrated circuit chips with higher speeds
>}have resulted in the production of chips having millions of
>}interconnections in the multilevel and multilayer configurations. The
>}parasitic effects associated with the chip-to-chip and on-chip
>}interconnections in such high-density environments have become the major
>}factors in the advancement of the very high speed integrated circuit
>}technology. This course will focus on the numerical modeling and computer
>}simulation of the various phenomena associated with the VLSI
>}interconnections used for high-speed applications. These include
>}parasitic capacitances and inductances, crosstalk, propagation delays and
>}electromigration-induced failure. The potential future interconnection
>}technologies including the active interconnections, optical
>}inter-connections and the superconducting interconnections will also be
>}reviewed.
>}
>}Course Outline
>}� Fundamentals
>} -Introduction to metallic, optical and
>} superconducting interconnections
>} -Method of multiple images
>} -Even- and odd-mode capacitances
>} -Transmission line equations
>} -Definitions of propagation delays
>}��Wave Propagation in an Interconnection
>} -Propagation modes in a microstrip
>} interconnection
>} -Slow-wave mode propagation
>} -Waveguide interconnections
>}��Modeling of Parasitic Capacitances
>} and Inductances
>} -Simplified approximate formulas
>} -The Green's function method
>} -The network analog method
>}� Crosstalk Analysis
>} -Lumped-capacitance approximation
>} -Coupled multiconductor metal-
>} insulator-semiconductor microstrip
>} line model
>} -Frequency domain modal analysis
>} -Transmission line analysis of parallel
>} and crossing interconnections
>}� Propagation Delay Analysis
>} -Metal-insulator-semiconductor
>} microstrip line model
>} -Transmission line analysis of parallel
>} and crossing interconnections
>} -Very high frequency losses in a
>} microstrip interconnection
>}��Electromigration-Induced Failure Analysis
>} -Overview of electromigration
>} in interconnection metallizations
>} -Electromigration due to repetitive
>} pulsed currents
> [...]

Nirmal Jain					    ANSOFT CORPORATION
(412) 261-3200 X29 (W) 			            Four Station Sq., Suite 660
(412) 471-9427(FAX)			            Pittsburgh, PA 15219

You make more friends by becoming interested in other people than by trying to interest other people in yourself. -- Dale Carnegie