Re: [SI-LIST] : micro BGA SI vrs PCB consideration

Roland F. Portman ([email protected])
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:02:51 -0700

--------------1DA573817D1BCE1C55B547C2

Ilan,

The problem with microVia (aka laser via) is it is only good from layer 1 to
2.
What do you do about power and ground???

We have been sucessful in using 8mil blind via in pad on a 10 layer board.
The fab house can only use a 8mil drill on a board thickness of 20 mil, thus
we opted for sequential lamination of Layers 1-5, 6-10 to give us the desired
board thickness.

This gives us the ability to get to power, ground and to three signal layers.

Another thing to look into is 10mil drill with 20mil pad thru hole vias in
pad. I don't know
if the 20 mil pads are too big for your microBGA. Our fab house can drill an
0.062" board
with 10 mil drills without much problem.

Good Luck,

Roland

--
Roland F. Portman
BiT Microsystems, Inc.

(510) 623-2341 Ext 129 (510) 623-2342 Fax (925) 328-7128 Pager

[email protected] http://www.bitmicro.com

--------------1DA573817D1BCE1C55B547C2 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> Ilan,

The problem with microVia (aka laser via) is it is only good from layer 1 to 2.
What do you do about power and ground???

We have been sucessful in using 8mil blind via in pad on a 10 layer board.
The fab house can only use a 8mil drill on a board thickness of 20 mil, thus
we opted for sequential lamination of Layers 1-5, 6-10 to give us the desired
board thickness.

This gives us the ability to get to power, ground and to three signal layers.

Another thing to look into is 10mil drill with 20mil pad thru hole vias in pad. I don't know
if the 20 mil pads are too big for your microBGA.  Our fab house can drill an 0.062" board
with 10 mil drills without much problem.

Good Luck,

Roland

Ilan Adar wrote:

 halloWe run into some problems when using micro BGA.We used PTH vias between the micro BGA pads and this leads us to low yield  in the manufacturing .the PCB people tell us that we must use micro via technology, but this requires us to change the PCB stack to :CSSIGSIGGND........can I use such a stackup ? or is there a mother solution to micro BGA PCB layout.thanks very muchIlan Adar[email protected]tel         972-9-7751239Fax       972-9-7751212