RE: [SI-LIST] : micro BGA SI vrs PCB consideration

Matt Kaufmann ([email protected])
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:45:07 -0700

Be careful when you talk about via-in-pad. Yes, a microvia is technically a
via-in-pad and would be acceptable (and probably advisable for fine pitch
parts (<1 mm)) but via-in-pad can also denote a drilled via in the center of
the BGA pad which is a big no-no since the via can wick solder away from the
joint (a microvia will not have this problem since the via is terminated at
the second layer).

Matt

Matt Kaufmann
Senior Packaging Engineer