RE: [SI-LIST] : the old high-frequency return current model

Eric Bogatin ([email protected])
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 12:16:48 -0500

Craig- Now that I no longer work for Ansoft, I can offer my own unbiased,
personal, professional opinions about their tools.

First, keep in mind that Ansoft offers about 20 different field solver type
tools, and they are all different and independent. Unfortunately, the
company has done a really poor job of name recognition for the individual
products. Most people lump all the field solvers in the general name of the
"ansoft" solver, or "Maxwell" solver. Neither of these names distinguish
any one of the different 20 products.

The particular field solver I was referring to in my past note on 2D field
solvers was the Maxwell 2D Extractor. It is a FEM based 2D solver. This is
distinctly different from the one I think you are referring to, a 2.5D
boundary element solver, outputting S parameter terms directly, which used
to be called Strata- has a new name now that I don't recall.

I am not really familiar with the boundary solver tool- the old Strata, and
can't comment on it- maybe someone else can. However, I am very familiar
with the 2D FEM solver, Maxwell 2D Extractor, part of the SI 2D suite. In my
professional opinion, "its a damn fine tool". I have verified the accuracy
to better than 1%- a few of the papers I wrote with others on this are on my
web site for download. I would love to get feedback from others on this
tool.

--eric

Eric Bogatin
BOGATIN ENTERPRISES
Training for Signal Integrity and Interconnect Design
26235 W. 110th Terr.
Olathe, KS 66061
v: 913-393-1305
f: 913-393-1306