Re: [SI-LIST] : the old high-frequency return current model

Ron Miller ([email protected])
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 17:04:35 -0700

--------------26523BD81E215613E068A4AB

[email protected] wrote:

> Shoot! I was out of town and missed one of the most interesting discussions of
> the year! (Plane-jumping return currents) So at the risk of re-opening this
> thread, filling all your mailboxes again, and being branded an outcast, here
> goes. (Remember, that delete button is only a few inches away...)
>
> You're all familiar with this picture of high-frequency return current bunching
> up under the signal trace, right? According to the picture, it dies off pretty
> quickly as you move along the x-axis away from the trace. Well, I've been
> considering rules for the area density of ground vias and decoupling capacitors,
> and it occurs to me that if this picture were true, then the only place for a
> ground via or capacitor is within 2-3 trace widths of the signal via in
> question. (Which is, for most of our applications, absurd.) Otherwise I'd be
> forcing the return current out of that very tight loop, increasing the
> inductance, adding a discontinuity, generating plane noise, emissions, and all
> those nasty things.

> The ground plane you are working with is not in a vacuum. Recognizing

that all the power and ground planes in a board have capacitance between them
which can be modeled as a matrix of capacitors, when the signal changes layers
the ground/power planes are connected together at higher frequencys. This is not
a hard connection but through an impedance. The vias that were considered between
planes were there to reduce this impedance between the ground layers at that point.

> Now, I know that boards work quite well up to a few hundred
> MHz with considerably less than 100 de-caps per square inch! So where's the
> discrepancy? Is there a hole in my fairly simplistic, qualitative analysis? Or
> is this just like everything else: knowing how some parameter varies between
> the end cases is much harder than analyzing the end cases?
>
> On another tangent, I believe 2-D field solvers make the assumption that the
> return current is evenly distributed across the surface of a plane when you ask
> them to compute C, L and Z for a given cross-section. Doesn't this also
> conflict with the high-frequency current distribution picture?
>
> Eagerly awaiting your answers and hoping I have time to read them,
>
> Greg Edlund
> Advisory Engineer, Critical Net Analysis
> IBM
> 3650 Hwy. 52 N, Dept. HDC
> Rochester, MN 55901
> [email protected]

Ronald B. Miller  _\\|//_  Signal Integrity Engineer
(408)487-8017    (' 0-0 ') fax(408)487-8017
Brocade Communications Systems, 1901 Guadalupe Parkway, San Jose, CA  95131
[email protected],  [email protected]

--------------26523BD81E215613E068A4AB Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit