Re: [SI-LIST] : Guard trace question

S. Weir ([email protected])
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 00:00:51 -0700

--=====================_197825988==_.ALT

Ron,

Either you have a different formula, or I believe that you slipped a
decimal point:

The isolation required: -100db watts/watt = 1*10^-5 volts/volt

The high frequency coupling limit = 1/(1 + D/H^2)

Solving, I get:

D/H = sqrt( 1/99,999 ) = 1/316.

Which is a bit much to ask for.

I do not have a formula which is both simple and accurate for the case
where a via fence is used but for this high of an isolation, it is likely a
practical solution. There was a paper referred to about a week ago which I
have not got around to reading yet which might provide a decent guestimate.

Regards,

Steve.