Re: [SI-LIST] : Non-standard bus termination (2nd posting)

Ron Miller ([email protected])
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:48:02 -0700

--------------629813C88742E2EC2B44865B

Hi DC

Make it a big cap.

The cap is used to keep from DC loading the line.

The resistor provides the line AC termination.

Ron Miller

"D. C. Sessions" wrote:

> Ron Miller wrote:
> >
> > Use tie all the common sides of the resistors together, and use one capacitor from the
> > common point to ground.
>
> Not exactly a Real Good Idea unless you have lots of timing margin.
> The problem is that this creates a lot of jitter (edge times depend
> on prior state of all the lines.)

> > > I am not the expert on SI Issues, but there are several resistor_packs
> > > for termination available from a variety of vendors. However, You have
> > > to be very carefull, because these packs sometimes cause noise and make
> > > things worst. It depends on how the resistors network is packaged for
> > > current/GND leads.( I suggest to look carfully at the schematics and do
> > > some noise analysis).
> > >

> > > Also, I "think" a 34-bit bus is not that WIDE, and if it is critical
> > > data path, you might be better off terminating with single loads( may
> > > be you can stick them on the backside of your board ?? It is a
> > > compromise).

> > --
> > Ronald B. Miller _\\|//_ Signal Integrity Engineer
> > (408)487-8017 (' 0-0 ') fax(408)487-8017
> > ==========0000-(_)0000===========
> > Brocade Communications Systems, 1901 Guadalupe Parkway, San Jose, CA 95131
> > [email protected], [email protected]
> >

> --
> D. C. Sessions
> [email protected]

Ronald B. Miller  _\\|//_  Signal Integrity Engineer
(408)487-8017    (' 0-0 ') fax(408)487-8017
Brocade Communications Systems, 1901 Guadalupe Parkway, San Jose, CA  95131
[email protected],  [email protected]

--------------629813C88742E2EC2B44865B Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> Hi DC