Re: [SI-LIST] : Q: Plane-jumping return currents

Larry Smith ([email protected])
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:10:31 -0700 (PDT)

Leesa - All of your comments are correct and you are asking a very good
question. This is a common stackup for our systems and a good one.
The power planes are well decoupled (or well coupled is probably a
better way to state it).

The short answer is yes, there should many vias connecting the ground
layers. At one time I used to tell designers to make sure that every
square inch of PCB had a via connecting the ground planes. That was
close enough for energy to make it from the signal via to the ground
via and back several times durring the signal rise time. Edges will be
well preserved. But as we go to 150 pSec rise times, perhaps a via
every square cm is in order.

If vdd1 and vdd2 are the same voltage, then via them together also. If
they are not the same voltage, we still have a good path through the
thin dielectrics and the well connected ground planes.

The stackup that you have shown is often repeated several times
vertically. It is possible for signals to be referenced against any
plane, hit a via, then end up referenced to any other plane. As long
as every power plane is closely coupled to a ground plane and all the
ground planes are connected often, we have a good return path.

regards,
Larry