RE: [SI-LIST] : RE: Another decoupling question

Hans Mellberg ([email protected])
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:42:58 -0700 (PDT)

BaTiO (subscripts ommited) capacitors are not known for their high
frequency performance. Only for bulk decoupling and are infamous for
failing in a short circuit (and eventually I^2R will un-short the short
with the relase of a puff of smoke and audible phonons!)
Their failure mode would be enhanced by the way layers are made with
the "roughing" process of the copper layers to improve adhesion.
To make them reliable, they would have to be derated (dielectric made
thicker) hence lower capacitance. But still, their high frequency
response is suspect especially if the dielectric is made thicker.

--- "Mellitz, Richard" <[email protected]> wrote:
> How about a barium titinate layer (Dk~100) between
> power and ground in a
> multilayer ceramic package? It should get you about
> 20 nF or so?
> Is anyone doing this?
>
> ... Rich Mellitz
> Intel