Re: [SI-LIST] : About the AC analysis with HSPICE

Dmitri Kuznetsov ([email protected])
Fri, 03 Sep 1999 10:49:41 -0700

Ray,

Here is a scheme to extract S parameters in a circuit simulator without
using .net.

___________
-----------| |---------------
Port 1 | A Circuit | Port 2
| |
-----------|___________|---------------

1. Run ac analysis of the following:

Rref ______________
------/\/\/\-------| |------------
| + | | + |
| V1 | The Circuit | V2 <
(Vin) | | > Rref
| - | | - <
-------------------|______________|-----------|

where Rref is the reference impedance (typically 50 Ohm).

2. Then:

S11 = (2 V1 - Vin) / Vin,
S12 = S21 = 2 V2 / Vin.

3. Repeat step 1 with Vin placed at port 2.

4. S22 = (2 V2 - Vin) / Vin.

You can use algebraics or controlled sources to do the math. This
technique is readily derived directly from the S-parameter definition
below.

a c
--> ___________ -->
XXXXXXX-----------| |---------------XXXXXXX
<-- |The Circuit| <--
b | | d
------------------|___________|----------------------

S11 = b/a for d = 0,
S12 = b/d for a = 0,
S21 = c/a for d = 0,
S22 = c/d for a = 0,

where a, b, c, and d are incident and reflected waves in the reference
system.

Due to the reciprocity property of linear networks, S12 = S21 (but only
if the same reference impedance is used for both ports). S11 = S22 if
the circuit is symmetric with respect to the test ports (e.g., a uniform
transmission line). S-parameters and other ac responses of transmission
lines are always oscillating because a transmission line with mismatched
terminations forms a comb filter. These oscillations are often mistaken
for a simulation problem.

Regards,
Dmitri Kuznetsov

Dmitri Kuznetsov, Ph.D.
Principal Engineer

ViewLogic Systems, Inc. e-mail: [email protected]
1369 Del Norte Rd. Tel: (805)278-6824
Camarillo, CA 93010 Fax: (805)988-8259