Re: [SI-LIST] : PCB design techniques for EMC control

Ron Matthews (
Thu, 02 Sep 1999 14:19:10 -0700

Hi Steve,

You're right, there's isn't much written about controlling EMI
the PCB level that helps people like us fix our problems. Having been
in the EMI mitigation business for about 15 years I can "feel your

Regarding your list of things to try:

>1. Put a metal can over the offending circuit area.

This can work if you certain your reference plane is quiet. If you put
a can
around a noisey circuit block and refer it to the "ground" plane then it
serve to lift the noise on the plane off the board and cause you more
problems than you solved. Do you know what it is in the offencing
area that is radiating? Will this board ever be offered for sale
without an
enclosure? Are the radiated emissions from the offending circuit
effecting other circuits on the board?

>2. A separate isolated power plane coupled with a ferrite bead.

Plane segmentation is certainly a valid tool for mitigating EMI in a
However, it must be done carefully. Simply using board segmentation
considering all the effects it brings with it can be as much of a
as it can be a salvation if it's done right (Somebody in the choir say

If you're going to create a power plane segment then that segmented
should become a routing keep-out for non-related traces that would
pass through. If your board is very dense then this may prove
difficult. If
non-related traces are allowed to run freely through an area which has
segregated for greater isolation, then these traces will compromise the
isolation you intended the segment to provide.

Using a ferrite to deliver a "filtered" voltage to the segmented area is
good idea, but may not give you enough relief by itself. First of all,
sure that the ferrite you select has an attenuation characteristic that
do what you need it to at the frequencies you need it done at. Once you
ensured this, consider putting some shunt capacitance on either side of
mote. Select you capacitors to give you the filtering characteristics
given the impedance of the ferrite.

>3. Bead isolated supply for the crystal oscillator only.

Is the oscillator pumping a lot of noise into your power and ground? If
is and if the oscillator is adequately decoupled then a bead could
help. My
first inclination would be to take a hard look at the power supply
across the entire board, device-by-device.

>4. Separate isolated power and ground plane both isolated with beads.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. If you mean to segment the
and ground planes for critical circuits then consider the following:

Segmenting both power and ground planes is one of the most aggressive
for dealing with EMI in the PCB. As such, it also needs a great deal of
so as not to make things worse. All of the considerations mentioned in
above still apply. That is, you have created a routing keep-out in the
segmented region. You also need to aggressively filter the voltage to
Vcc segment. However, I absolutely DO NOT recommend connecting your
segment to the main ground plane via a ferrite bead. Remember, a
bead has a hig impedance at high frequencies. You want your ground to
be a
low impedance return path. I know of people who will disagree with me
but I
have yet to see any convincing evidence to indicate that connecting
together through a ferrite is a good thing to do for EMI considerations.

In my opinion, a much better way to go about being successful in
connecting a
ground-plane segment to the rest of the grond plane is to use a span of
which I call a "neck". This is simply a connecting span of etch between
segmented ground and the rest of the ground plane. If you consider that
ground plane is analagous to a sewer, then this scheme makes sense. The
ground plane in a PCB is like a sewer in the sense that it serves as the
return path for all of the signals created on the board. By using a
neck to
connect a ground sengment to the main ground then you provide this path
signal traces which need to enter and leave the segment; which brings me
the next thing you should consider if your going to create this type of
segmentation scheme. When you route inter-segment traces, they need to
routed over the neck so that the neck can provide a low-impedance path
their image return current.

Decoupling is very important in mitigating EMI on the PCB but it is
important on an isolated segment. If you have an unsegmented
plane and if you have done a reasonable job of decoupling the active
then each device has access to a an "ocean" of charge storage which can
service the switching events occurring around the board. But when you
segment a circuit block on its own separate power/ground island, you are
off from this ocean. As such, you need to be quite aggressive in
the active devices on each segmented region.

>5. Separate direct-coupled power and ground plane on the outside layers with
>the signals sandwiched between them.

This is a technique called buried capacitance technology which is
in mitigating some PCB related EMI problems. It's a good technique but
not a panacea. You can get more information on BCT from board
such as Zycon or Hadco.

Good luck,

Ron Matthews Cadence Design Systems