RE: [SI-LIST] : BGA socket modeling

Tan, Tat Hin ([email protected])
Thu, 02 Sep 1999 12:11:38 -0700

Hi Russell,

Not advertising this company but it has a very good article on frequency
domain characterization methodology.
http://www.gigatest.com/hp96.html

For TDR methods refer to
AN1304-1 and AN1304-2 from
http://www.tmo.hp.com/tmo/Notes/English/NotesANumber.html
or visit Tektronix http://www.tek.com

I prefer to use TDR method as it gives unique values for LCR and it's
simpler. FD method uses MDS optimization algorithms to arrive at the LCR
values but I wonder if they are unique. FD method does give better
correlation if one uses higher order polynomials as models instead of
simple
LCR model.

Warning: R is quite difficult to determine. And is dependent upon the
wear
and tear on the socket pin contact with the pad, as well as contact
pressure.

rgrds,
t^2h
Intel Test Tooling Penang