Re: [SI-LIST] : PCB design techniques for EMC control

Roland F. Portman ([email protected])
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 10:44:13 -0700

Steve,

You state you are feeding a 110Mhz clock to a chain of 74AC161s. You
also
state you have 'relatively short traces'. The Fairchild spec for the
74AC161 states the outputs can drive +/- 24mA. I don't see a spec for
rise/fall times,
but 24mA is pretty healthy drive and the steep edge rates may contribute
to your EMI.
If the signals are point to point, may I suggest you
series terminate these outputs to reduce the rise/fall times and /or
consider a different device family
with lower drive current if your circuit allows.

Furthermore, you don't mention what voltage you supply to the 74AC161s,
PCB stackup, signal impedances,
nor on which layer the offending signals reside. These need to be
looked at.
Sandwiching the noisy signals inside the power/gnd planes, isolating the
pwr/gnd, or adding a metal
can are band-aid approaches. The problem needs to fixed at the source.

Just to note, Isolated power and/or ground planes open up a whole can of
worms which I am not
familiar enough to comment about. I know someone on the si-list will
address it thoroughly.

Good luck,

Roland Portman
[email protected]

--

Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:vcard.vcf 4 (TEXT/ttxt) (000030B3)