RE: [SI-LIST] : IBIS models

Abe Riazi ([email protected])
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:06:36 -0700

Roy,

It is absolutely true that it is not "always" a simple task to
complete the pin mapping section. That is why I had used words such as
"in many cases" or "frequently" and had avoided "always".

There are many cases which allow an easy pin mapping completion
(requiring only the datasheet for referral to the device pinout and an
ASCII editor program for editing the IBIS file), for instance:

1. The model has only few pins .
2. There are many pins with identical I/O buffer models.

Almost in all cases, it is un-necessary to construct a pin mapping
section which includes every pin of the device, because only those pins
(together with their associated I/O buffers) required for the particular
simulation have to be taken into account.

On the other hand, it is also true that if the model consists of many
pins (necessary for simulation) it can be time consuming to repair this
type of model defect. Furthermore, If some buffer models are not
specified for a pin or ( its equivalent ) which must be utilized in a
simulation, then it may be impossible for the user to fix the problem.
The model supplier should then be contacted.

In your email you also refer to the following disclaimer statement
found in IBIS models:

"Data is for modeling purposes only---use at risk---not guaranteed"

Above disclaimer is one reason that I always carefully examine
(verify) each model before using it in SI simulations. A detailed
evaluation of a model can lead to identification of its deficiencies,
which may be broadly divided as:

1. Defects which can be fixed by the user without the aid of the
model developer.
2. Problems which require contacting the vendor.

An incomplete pin mapping section frequently (but not always)
belongs to the former type. On the other contrary, a missing (or
defective) parasitic section, I-V curves or VT tables often can not be
fixed by the user without contacting the model provider.

Regards,

Abe Riazi
[email protected]