Re: [SI-LIST] : IBIS models

Laurence Michaels ([email protected])
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:51:26 -0400

"Michael C. Greim" wrote:

> Roy et al,
>
> The ibis models are an effort to make the signal integrity exercise
> easier. However, as some of the members of this mailing list
> have pointed out, having the right model for one pin, earlier,
> is a whole lot better than the total device, late. (IMHO)
> The trick for most designers is again using the available tools
> to minimize the effort in making an early model useful. I
> am a little surprised that no one has offered a script of
> some sort that will semi-automate the process. I don't have
> one available, but I would suspect that someone in the group
> would have gotten tired of creating a 600 or 1000 pin model
> by hand.
>
> Anybody? Anybody?
>
> MG
[snip long sig]
I find that Perl (programming language from www.perl.com) works quite
well for taking a list of pins (in text format) and generating a
corresponding IBIS pinlist. The only tricky part (aside from getting a
pinlist from a vendor in text) is adding the correct modeltype to each
line. xemacs, or any good programmer-type editor is also useful. I'll
admit to being reasonably good at perl scripts.

No, I don't think I am ready to give out copies of the perl script,
since it tends to need modification for each new vendor. I haven't
worked out a general-case solution, though I suppose I could make the
script try to infer the file format by looking for things that are
likely to be pins next to pin-names.

One difficulty is that several vendors have taken to releasing databooks
only in PDF format, which may or may not be easily convertible to text.
PDF docs can be in bitmap format, and I don't know how to write a
character recognition program yet.

--
Laurence Michaels
Simulation Support Engineer - General DataComm