RE: [SI-LIST] : Stackup Extraction

apanella ([email protected])
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:27:40 -0700

For what it is worth...
I always try to keep the pcb house to hold one tolerance and
adjust/craft/other the other transmission line parameters as required to
meet a given impedance. In hindsight, I guess this is two things that I
specify...
a) impedance
b) one of the transmission line geometries (i.e. signal to ground
height OR
trace width OR space width OR other.. notice that these are not "AND's")

For some reason, this seems to be a good compromise between pcb house
capabilities and final design requirements...

Oh but wait.... which geometry should be specified...??? I believe
that
the specified geometry depends on the application. For instance... if
you
are creating a pcb that will be used as an edge card... it may be best
specify the height between the outer signal to ground height...

I know this isn't perfect... but rather a comprimise... However, as we
all
know many options will work... but some are more important than others
for a
given application.

Just another reference point...

Best Regards,