RE: [SI-LIST] : Proposal: Rs correlation/collaboration for W-Elem

Mellitz, Richard ([email protected])
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 07:01:10 -0700

Michael,

Were you including a lossy ground plane?

Richard Mellitz
Intel

-----Original Message-----
From: Chan, Michael [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 1999 10:36 AM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: RE: [SI-LIST] : Proposal: Rs
correlation/collaboration for W-Elem ents

Richard:
The DC resistance ( R0 ) from Simpest is 4.519685
Ohms/meter.

I believe the value is the asymptotic skin-effect resistance
and this
should equal to Rs as used by W-element as you can see the
unit is
ohms/sqrt(Hz)*meter. This is not R(f)!! I will double check
with Michael
Tsuk in this case as my user manual miss the section
description on
resistance matrix. I am not sure whether it is real or the
magnitude but
since
the 2-D software is based on boundary-element method

Pacific Numerix's calculation will give R(f) and then Rs has
to be
calculated
using the equation as you described as below or from the
Hspice manual. That
is normally what I do when I generate lossy W-element
transmission lines for
Hpsice 98.2 and 98.4.
Unfortunately we have retired our Silicon Graphic server and
so I cannot run
that software to double check everything at this moment. I
will try to run
FastHenry to check what the number looks like this afternoon
and let you
know.

The result from Ray Anderson of Sun shows Rs for different
frequencies from
Applied Simulation Tech. and I don't know whether the
software reports Rs
directly or R(f) and Ray calculate those numbers manually
using the below
equation. I speculate if I use the same frequencies as Ray
used in Pacific
Numerix, the result would not be that far off. The only
concern I have is
his number at 1MHz. At 1MHz, the skin depth is 2.6mils which
is larger than
the thickness of your conductor ( 1mil ) and so Rs at 1MHz
should be smaller
than at 1GHz as point out by Ray.

Regards,
Michael Chan