Re: [SI-LIST] : coming up with average power estimates for

Steve Weir ([email protected])
Tue, 03 Aug 1999 20:10:26 -0700

You can find print on this stuff in power electronics literature. I think
you and others have reinforced the fact that Pat needs to realistically
characterize his load profiles. If this is all a bunch of DSP stuff
crunching continuously, I don't think he will have any patterns which get
into the msec or slower range, where thermal time constants will start to
effect the peak versus average temperature rise at the die.

Kollmorgen used to have the problem you refer to with their printed motors.
They had great acceleration characteristics, but without a substantial
thermal mass in the rotor, could not sustain significant overdrive without
damage.

Regards,

Steve.