Re: [SI-LIST] : w element

Mike Degerstrom ([email protected])
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 08:32:44 -0500

Scott,

As I posted several days earlier - make sure you play with
the ".option risetime=xx" parameter. We were a beta test
site for the w-element model a couple of years ago. The
transient model only gives an approximation to the real lossy
line response. However, for most applications, I contend that
you are far better off using the w-element than any of the other
HSPICE transmission line models. Also the w-element model
is extremely efficient when simulating large numbers of coupled
conductors.

Mike

On Jul 20, 10:46pm, Scott McMorrow wrote:
> Subject: Re: [SI-LIST] : w element
> It will be interesting to see where this thread leads. We are currently
> performing some very basic simulation tests with w-elements and
> are discovering some extremely unsettling behavior.
>
> scott
>
> SiQual
>
> Larry Smith wrote:
>
> > Tanmoy - did you see the discussion on SI list pertaining to w element?
> > Look under the thread: even-odd mode influence.
> >
> > Larry
> >
> > > From: "John Williamson" <[email protected]>
> > > To: "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>
> > > Subject: RE: [SI-LIST] : even-odd mode influence
> > > Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 08:57:05 -0500
> > >
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > A comment on HSPICE lossy coupled T-line accuracy. Be careful when using
the
> > > W-element.
> > > We've found that the time and frequency domains do not agree. For
example, a
> > > set of extracted
> > > RLGC parameters resulted in a frequency domain attenuation of -25dB at
> > > 10GHz. However when
> > > the same model was used in the time domain driven by a 10GHz sine wave,
the
> > > attenuation was
> > > only -8dB. We've found that this can be corrected by dividing the model
up
> > > into several shorter
> > > ones. It's not computationally efficient, but it works fairly well.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > jw
> > >
> > > John M. Williamson, 0V30, Electromagnetic & interconnect technology
> > > Nortel Networks
> > > (613) 763 3198, ESN 393-3198 E-mail: [email protected]

Mike Degerstrom         Email:    [email protected]
Mayo Clinic
200 1st Street SW
Gugg. Bldg. RM 1042A                 Phone:    (507) 284-3292
Rochester, MN 55905                    FAX:    (507) 284-9171
WWW:  http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg/sppdg_home_page.html