RE: [SI-LIST] : How to treat the ASIC package pin-assigns

[email protected]
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:47:24 -0500

Hi! Chenlanbing,

It depends broadly on following things:

(a) what kind of package: ground return path within the package is different

for different types of packages (stack-up of the package dictates this). In
BGA type packages
there are usually metal islands for gnd and pwr(connected to their
respective power/ground planes thorough vias), you can isolate other noises
by
assigning a separate island to clock power/ground (if you have such a case)

In the past I have assigned two dedicated pads for power and ground around
the
clock pad within AISC.

Also it is helpful to put quiet buffers around a clock pad. This is also
dependent upon the fact how your power distribution is with the chip.

(b) Clock type (is it differential), noise sensitivity, drive strength etc:

If clock net is very noise sensitive then you can provide noise isolation at
package level by customizing the power/ground planes. But you might have to
simulate the
effective improvement by field solvers and SI tools.

you can isolate power/ground distribution at chip level as well if you have
that freedom.

-Satish Pratapneni
Signal Integrity Engineer
Dell Computers Corporation, TX