Re: FW: [SI-LIST] : METASTABILITY IN FLIP FLOPS

Steve Weir ([email protected])
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:53:32 -0700

I believe that the Intel demonstrations was conducted as part of a Wyle
promotion: "Steak and PLD's", in the when Intel was selling PLD's, circa
1991. What I remember is that they were pitching the value of two register
levels when very very low metastable event rates were required.

The demo fixture had a sample clock of 10MHz, and an adjustable event clock
of approximatlely 1MHz, and a simple correllator to detect metastable
events. With a single FF, and the event clock free-running an event would
occur about once every four hours. However, by slaving the event clock,
and walking the phase of the event into the Tsu window of the sampler, the
metastable rate ran to a high percentage of the event rate. I believe that
fixture also had a two FF set-up, which under the same conditions did not
demonstrate failures.

Regards,

Steve.