Re[2]: [SI-LIST] : Via Capacitances ...

[email protected]
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:46:02 -0500

I agree with Ron's email on via being nothing but a capacitive stub.

One can verify that by measuring a typical via with a TDR.
Run a length of trace with an open via in the middle and launch a TDR signal
(~35pS) from one end. Make sure the line is terminated in its characteristic
impedance. You will discover a negative reflection (capacitive discontinuity).

The equivalent capacitance can be derived by utilizing the reflected voltage,
risetime, incident voltage and Zo.

Michael Cheong

Sr. Product Design Engineer, Advanced Development
Molex Incorporated
email: [email protected]

Tel: (630)-527-4257
Fax: (630)-969-1352