Re: [SI-LIST] : Question about Multiple PWBA Ground

peter baxter ([email protected])
Thu, 08 Jul 1999 09:08:01 +1000

David,

I have been looking at doing a similar thing except I want to "BUTT" a
PCB's ground plane (which is on the top layer of a PCB), against the
chassis. It is something I am considering in relationship to reducing
the length of ground/shield connection length from a cable to chassis
ground. While the cables have a shield, they are supplied with plastic
connectors resulting in 10mm (0.4 inch) multiple (20) pigtails because
it is GND/SIG/GND. It could well be a loosing battle, but I am thinking
of what might be possible.

As currents flow, and I have two dissimilar metals (PCB: either copper,
tin-lead plate or nickel plate, Chassis: zinc treated/passivated sheet
steel) I have all the ingredients for galvanic corrosion and reduction
in effectiveness. The zinc is the killer but that seems to be the way
all PCs are made.

If every product was used in a humidity controlled environment, it would
be fine. But that may not always be the case.

So when I read your message, I immediately thought of my problem.

How do others do it and are they concerned about galvanic problems?

Regards,

Peter Baxter