RE: [SI-LIST] : How do you use buried capacitance?

Steve Weir ([email protected])
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:19:10 -0700

John,

I agree that it is well established that any discrete components used to
bypass high frequency signals must be placed close to the load. It is a
simple matter of voltage drop across the series inductance when the load (
driver ) undergoes significant di/dt. I also agree that no matter what the
interconnect impedance, propagation delays will ultimately limit the
usefulness of capacitance in Kansas to a load in California.

However, with all of that said, I think that it is important to note how
adverse the inductive impedance of discrete devices is. Even the smaller
packages, 0402 / 0603 have inductances of typically 1nH. A single device
crosses 1 ohm at 160MHz, or 3nS risetime. Even if we use the reverse
aspect ratio caps, this improves by only about 1.5:1 to 2:1. If we packed
a typical BGA with bypass caps, we might get one 0603 for every eight to
ten drivers in a 400-500 pin package or even fewer for a 600+ pin package.
Assuming that 1/2 of the drivers switch simultaneously, we will experience
current steps well in excess of 100mA. For a pedestrian 3nS risetime, we
would suffer 100mV+ of disturbance. For real risetimes in the 0.5nS to 1nS
region life is much worse. Therefore, we have to rely on the plane
capacitance and fight the interconnect inductance to maintain stable power
supply voltage at our drivers.

To the extent that the Zycon approach provides significant capacitance
through drastically lower series inductance than we can get with discrete
parts, it is able to establish a much lower impedance floor AT HIGH
FREQUENCIES, sic edge rates. Mid, and low frequencies still require
adequate energy storage in the form of bulk capacitors.

Eric's algebra is straight out of second semester physics textbooks.
Capacitance is just e0 * EA/ED, as an observed phenomena. The energy
required to charge some capacitance is the integral of the charge times the
force ( voltage ) required to move that charge, which when evaluated yields
the square formula 1/2 CV^2.

Regards,

Steve