RE: [SI-LIST] : How do you use buried capacitance?

Jon Keeble ([email protected])
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:21:59 +1000

Seems to me that only the C 'close' to where it is required is of any
use. C 'further away' means that the fast signals that can use it can't
see it.

Similar arguments were canvassed during the 'where to put the bypass
cap' debate
- 'the plane inductance is low' (lumped argument)
- 'the time is short' (transmission line argument).

The C carries the return signal current of one or both edges, and the
spacing of C adds that much distance to the return route.

At 100pf/in^2 then a few hundred pF are useful to the fastest
components.

There seems to be a problem with the Eric's algebra.
For a fixed V:
if C is proportional to 1/d
and if E is proportional to C
then
E is proportional to 1/d.

Jon.

Steve,
I agree except for your statement about capacitance being inversely
proportional to the plane separation. In fact, the capacitance of a
parallel plate capacitor is proportional to A/d (A=area of plates,
d=separation). The energy storage, on the other hand is E=(1/2)*C*V^2,
which is proportional to 1/d^2.
Eric Sweetman