Re: [SI-LIST] : Complex Math examples?

Douglas McKean ([email protected])
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:55:36 -0700

Hi Doug,

Interesting question. Looked about my own personal
library and found nothing. What I believe you are
looking for is something in terms of application
as in EE instead of the well known math derivations.
Not sure you're getting the answers you're looking
for.

Of course anytime the familiar aX^2 + bX + c ends
up with (b^2 - 4ac) < 0, imaginary numbers come
into play. This can happen with all sorts of
stability problems.

I suppose one could look into the various analogies
from ee with its resistor, inductor and capacitive
passive elements and the associated elements in
thermal, hydraulics, and mechanical. I have found
none that correlate with the resistor, capacitor
and inductor.

How one defines the electrical elements for the
analogies, decides what shape the analogy to say
mechanical take shape. For instance, if voltage
and current are taken to be similar to velocity
and force respectively, one set of analogies result.
If voltage and current are taken to be similar to
force and velocity respectively (opposite to the
first case) then another set of analogies result.
Thermal has a "capacitive" analogy but no known
"inductance" analogy.

Guess I'm starting to ramble and really didn't
help you. But, hey, for 2 cents what can you
expect? Good question ...

Regards, Doug McKean