Re: [SI-LIST] : Problems with 3rd harmonics on Intel 820 Camino chipset?

Adrian Shiner ([email protected])
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:04:01 +0100

You could well be right in your suspicions. I know of a plasma display wh=
ich had exessive RF emmision & failed EMC tests when information interfac=
e was designed in accordance with the device data sheet. Two clocks were
harmonically related. The cure was to lower the higher clock frequency to=
a non integer related frequency.

My good old Eddystone Model 940 communications receiver (vacuum tubes bas=
ed electronics!) using a 100kHz to 80MHz bandwidth active antenna, picks =
up the radiation from an EPSON Stylus 300 printer located 3m away from th=
e antenna.
Low power, low supply voltage semiconductor circuits can easily self inte=
rfere. Are the circuit simulators being used accurately describing the PC=
Bs?? Perhaps the RF and analog circuit designers can contribute to the de=
sign of
these circuits. Knowing about boolean algebra, race conditions, timing s=
kew & a bit of code writing does not solve all digital circuit design pro=
blems.

For those that follow astronomical events, a recent space probe was lost =
due to an 25ms transient overload current demand from an integrated circu=
it when it switched on. Incredible or what?

Best wishes

Adrian

Adrian

list ****