RE: [SI-LIST] : 20-H Rule for Power Planes

S. Weir ([email protected])
Mon, 31 May 1999 04:40:25 -0700

Jon,

I have been using a similar technique, and it seems to work pretty well. I
have been building the "outer fence", but have not been putting a gnd trace
on the inner power plane. I tend to believe that the most benefit comes
from paying the drilling cost for a tight fence to hold the inductance
down. I don't see where the additional trace would substantially reduce
the area loop in the return current. Since, ostensibly, that is the source
of the radiated power, I don't think it will help much. However, I suppose
it might be worth modelling.

Regards,

Steve.