RE: [SI-LIST] : Looking Inside IBIS Model

Mellitz, Richard ([email protected])
Wed, 19 May 1999 12:49:43 -0700

Hi Mark,

Tco is a spec. TIME_to_VM is a trick so that we don't double count the
simulator edge delay. The TIME_to_VM may have very little to do with real
circuit delays. To determine TIME_to_VM, you need accurate package and load
models for the conditions at which Tco is spec'ed and tested.

Rich Mellitz
Sr. Staff Hw. Engineer, Intel

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Nass [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 1999 5:05 AM
To: [email protected];
'[email protected]'
Subject: RE: [SI-LIST] : Looking Inside IBIS Model

Here is my 2 cents worth on this subject. Sometimes the
TIME_to_VM
values are different because it depends on the point where
the data
for the IBIS model is taken. I have found that I can build
two IBIS models
for the same buffer that will generate a near Identical wave
shape at
the receiver and the TIME_to_VM value in one is 1.25ns and
in the other
it is 2.47ns. When I drive the load(4 DIMMs in this case)
and add up the
flightime using (Tco - Time_to_VM + Tflight) both numbers
are within 20ps.
The point is that TIME_to_VM is not a perfect indicator of
Tco values
for Rise and Fall. I have started giving people the Tco
values, at the buffer
outputs, for both L>H & H>L transitions for the buffer
models I develop.
I also do the IBIS2XTK conversion and test the model to
make sure the
TIME_to_VM numbers are generated and that the numbers add up
to what I
see in spice.
One thing I have always hated about IBIS models, at least
the ones I have
received, that nobody has mentioned is that they usually do
not contain
enough
of the Waveforms to generate a good QUAD model. I always get
the message,
REVERTING
TO RAMPS. This gives a terrible QUAD model, and of no use.
For me having the
appropriate number of RISING and FALLING Waveforms into the
pullup and
pulldown
is extremely important, at least for generating a QUAD
model.

Mark

At 09:23 AM 5/19/99 -0500, Beal, Weston wrote:
>Steve,
>
>Now I see your point. This is definitely correct
mathematically, but I
>still feel uneasy about it. I think that in reality, this
should not
>happen. If your TIME_TO_VM falling is much longer than
rising, then your
>simulation time to the receiver should also be much longer.
The pulldown is
>just not as strong.
>
>So, your example is correct, but if you actually got these
numbers from a