Re: [SI-LIST] : Broadside Coupled Traces

Michael E Vrbanac ([email protected])
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 17:38:43 -0700 (PDT)

I've read a lot of good comments on this thread's subject already ...

I'll add just a few additional points:

1. Differential signalling is typically used when the signal return
integrity through a "single ended ground system" would be ineffective
or would not allow sufficient noise margin to transmit the signal to a
receiver. This is typically the case when there is an expectation of
extremely long signal runs (amplitude loss and potential
electromagnetic intereference), building to building situations
(grounding instabilities) or an expected lossy situation in a much
shorter signalling run which would in essence create the same sort of
conditions which normally would exist in an extremely long signal run.
In very high frequency (fast risetime) situations, such conditions may
exist within a piece of equipment.

2. Since loss and crosstalk have a number of variables that would need
to be considered and both situations would have to deal with these, it
would not be expected that one construction would necessarily be
better than another. Since crosstalk can be affected by the degree of
both capacitive or inductive coupling, affecting the parameters that
would assist in reducing such coupling could yield identical
electrical results in either construction. Losses are about the same.
DC resistance, skin effect losses, and dielectric losses can all be
manipulated, theoretically, and could again yield identical results,
electrically. The actual implementation of these into something one
might design in a particular practical situation might determine the
actual suitability of one construction over the other.

3. In high density applications, while its thought that the BCS
(broadside coupled stripline) might be superior, it does hamper
circuit routing on two layers which might cause problems with the
routing of other signals in the area. While it might be desirable to
limit routing in the differential pair area for crosstalk reasons, the
"high density application" generally makes it impractical to
completely eliminate other signal routing in the area. Again, a
design tradeoff assessment would be necessary to determine if BCS
would work for your particular situation.

4. Since the "effectiveness" of a differential signalling pair scheme
(especially in more difficult signalling situations) is dependent on
the electrical balance of the pair, the construction control of
broadside coupled differential pairs in PCB's can be difficult to
implement such that matched distances between the individual traces in
the pair are equally spaced from a nearby plane resulting in an equal
capacitive loading for each line to "ground" (this assumes equal
dielectric constants in both dielectrics). This can be negated in
large part by sufficient plane distance from the traces in the pair
but then the board thickness increases. Also important is the etched
line widths on each layer and dielectric materials with consistent and
equal dielectric constants would need to be utilized throughout. So
it is not that it cannot be done, it is just more difficult to do in a
production environment. Edge coupled striplines tend to be have less
variables (and therefore less tolerances) to contend with in the
construction.

5. As mentioned elsewhere in other comments on this thread, wider
trace widths are needed to keep line impedance stable with regards to
layer registration issues in the BCS construction.

6. Typically, the BCS tends yield a lower impedance for similar
dimensional constructions to ECS (edge coupled stripline). So in a
BCS, larger dielectric distances will be required between the pair
traces and/or reduction of line widths may need to be implemented to
meet certain impedance requirements. In very high frequency
situations, skin effect might have some impact on signals used in
narrower trace widths depending on the actual line width used and the
actual rise/fall time of the signal.

7. The effect of imbalancing the pairs (#4) can produce two
electromagnetic compatibility issues... first, the imbalanced pair
will be more susceptible to stray magnetic fields which are not always
well attenuated in perforate copper plane structures (assuming
stripline construction) even though some eddy current losses (from
field impingement on the planes) will be achieved at higher
frequencies .... (whether that's a problem or not depends on the
system/device noise immunity parameters).... the good news is that
this kind of coupling tends to be "common-mode" and usually can be
rejected by the differential receiver and is the reason why one would
want to make sure the traces in the pair should be closely associated
to one another. Otherwise, the problem can become a "differential
one" and the "protection" is gone... and second, the imbalanced pair
can produce electromagnetic emissions due to a portion of the signal
energy (current) being diverted to areas of the system (larger return
loop area) where it is not intended. In situations where the pair is
tightly coupled to nearby ground planes, it would not be wise to route
such a pair over a plane discontinuity as it would in effect create
the same negative EMC conditions that a single ended trace might do
due to the larger current loop area in the signal return path of the
diverted energy taken from the pair.

Hope that helps!

Michael E. Vrbanac