RE: [SI-LIST] : Re: SPAM

Lund, Steve (SLund@tuthill.com)
Thu, 01 Apr 1999 10:37:06 -0800

.

I have also taken measures to protect my e-mail address but still
occasionally receive some. I finally figured out that a lot of the
spammers were using programs that generate random user IDs and then
marry them with valid domain names in hopes of getting a live e-mail
address. For this reason you should never respond to the "remove me
from your list" ploy. This just lets them know that they found a
_valid_ e-mail address and your inbox will soon be overflowing with
spam.

For all spam that I receive I look at all of the headers and then
send the entire message including the headers to the generic
abuse@domainname.com that is listed as the source of the message.
The domain owner will then terminate the account ofthe spammer.

My $.02

Steve